A request for arty help from Raheema Caratella from Leicester Interfaith Youth Hub…
I am the liaison officer of The Leicester Interfaith Youth HUB which is an initiative of the St. Philip’s Centre. We were set up in January 2010 and our Moto is think global….act local. We look at global issues across the world and take local action through community service initiatives. We have been supporting a charity called Malaria No More, who is helping combat malaria in Ghana, Africa. In total we have managed to raise £10,000 thanks to the young people putting on various community events on for the public.
Our next project is called ECO Faith, for World Environment Day (5th June) we are having a marquee at the community Riverside festival on Bede park, Leicester.
In the marquee will have various activities/workshops for people to get involved in:
1. Today/Tomorrow…..What our Earth could be….Tour and workshop with lots of little tips/ideas on the small steps that can contribute to a cleaner/healthier planet.
2. Shoot your Co2, Carbon footprint and water pistols game
3. Quotes from religious texts books on how faith can be an inspiration to care for the environment
4. Recycled fashion workshop….volunteers will help recycle and revamp a tired looking outfit with buttons/ribbons/badges
5. Badge Making….Eco warrior
6. Pledge/declaration for people to sign to say they will take small steps and make their contribution
7. Grow your own FREE grub….take away plants: tomato, onion, cress, peppers, chilli, courgette and many more
We are in need of more volunteers to help on this project either by helping prepare and make the above pieces of artwork or volunteering on the stall during the day!
We are meeting up next Tuesday 25th from 6pm onwards at the St. Philip’s Centre, 2A Stoughton Drive North (off Evington Road, behind the St. Philips Church) to have a go at recycled fashion, draw the objects around the Earths and papier mache and paint the huge Earth models. It will be a fun, exciting and you will get free food!!! We will also be getting a feature in the Leicester Mercury and a pictures of you guys doing your activities. If you cant make it but want to help on the day or contribute in any other way…please get in touch!
If you could get this opportunity out to everyone who is creative, passionate and wants to make a difference to our planet that would be fantastic. We need as much hands on help as possible to get this exhibition off the ground. We are on facebook as the ‘Leicester Interfaith Youth Hub’ and I will set up a facebook event shortly