The main purpose of Transition Leicester is to engage the whole community in visioning, planning and achieving a transition to a better low energy future, to create a Leicester that we’d love to live in.
We plan to do this by working on the following eight aims, which are described in more detail below.
1. Awareness raising
2. Supporting inner transition
3. Reframing our current situation
4. Community building
5. Taking practical action
6. Planning for Energy Descent
7. Learning, sharing and networking
8. Supporting and sustaining Transition Leicester itself
- Our awareness raising is focussed on awareness of Peak Oil (and its implications) and the urgency of Climate Change and the need to see the two problems as being inter-related.
- It also addresses other related challenges (such as the instability of our current economic system) and the need to increase the resilience of our community and localise our economy as responses.
- We also raise awareness about possible solutions to the issues we are focussed upon.
- By ‘inner transition’ we mean the inner, personal changes needed within ourselves and our communities to re-orient towards a more resilient and life-sustaining culture.
- We will do this by modelling a sustainable culture through our activities and events, and providing space, expertise, structure and support for this process to happen.
- This also means supporting the development of values and worldviews that recognise our interdependence with the rest of the natural world.
- We aim to reframe the perceived environmental crisis as also a positive opportunity to build a more satisfying and resilient way of living.
- We also aim to reframe our perception of ourselves as having the power, ability, capability and resilience to adapt and thrive in the future.
- Through our activities we aim to rebuild connections within communities, by providing spaces and opportunities for interaction, and by supporting and encouraging individuals to support each other – emotionally, practically and socially – in their neighbourhoods.
- We aim to support, inspire and carry out practical action and projects to build local resilience and reduce carbon emissions. This action will focus on our most important local systems, such as food, energy, transport and waste.
- We will also focus on “reskilling” – learning valuable practical skills for a low-energy society (e.g. growing food, repairing clothing).
- We will support or initiate work to plan for a positive future with less available energy in Leicester (or communities within Leicester).
- This could involve devising plans for meeting the community’s needs in different aspects of life (e.g. food, energy, transport), or developing compelling positive visions of a low-carbon resilient future.
- We aim to learn from our experiences, and share information and learning about our work with others (such as other Transition Initiatives).
- We are also committed to experimentation by carrying out projects that are innovative and offer opportunities for learning and replication in other communities.
- We will build connections with other local organisations and projects, which align with Transition aims. We will share information on their work with Transition Leicester members, and support any partner groups/organisations to connect with and work with each other.
- We aim to ensure that Transition Leicester thrives as a project and continues to exist as long as it is needed.
- This means raising our profile amongst local people and in the local media so that we can engage and involve a large proportion of the local community.
- It also means supporting anyone involved in projects or groups so that their involvement is a positive experience and can be sustained into the future.